If you’re going through a divorce – particularly one that involves some type of custody dispute – you could end up facing false allegations of domestic violence. While it’s extremely unfortunate that an ex-spouse or ex-partner would stoop to that level, it happens more often than you think.
So what are you supposed to do when an ex levels false allegations of domestic battery or aggravated domestic battery against you?
Your best bet may be to talk to a Chicago domestic battery defense attorney who understands that these things happen and who can help you clear your name. For many people, working with a domestic batter lawyer is a necessity; your attorney will be there to answer your questions, explain the legal end of what you’re going through, and defend your name in court.
Your domestic battery defense lawyer will have several questions for you, including:
- What were the circumstances that led up to the alleged domestic violence incident?
- Has your ex obtained an order of protection against you?
- What was your relationship like with your ex, and why are you no longer in that relationship?
- How many children do you have, and were they there to witness the alleged incident?
- Has your ex been convicted of any crimes or has he or she falsely accused you or others of domestic battery before?
- What kind of evidence does the prosecution have against you?
Your lawyer will ask you several other questions, too, and he’ll want you to describe the situation in your own words.
While this is an incredibly tough subject to tackle, it’s important that you answer your attorney’s questions as completely as possible. The more you tell your lawyer, the better job he can do defending you in court.
Do You Need to Talk to a Chicago Domestic Battery Lawyer?
If you’re in trouble and you need to talk to a domestic battery lawyer in Chicago or the suburbs, including Rolling Meadows or Skokie, call us immediately at 847-920-4540. We’ll be happy to give you a free case review and begin building a defense strategy that gets you the best possible outcome.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.