Aggravated Domestic Battery - Domestic Violence Defense Chicago

An order of protection can change the way you live your life—and it can have serious, permanent consequences.

So what should you do if someone has taken out an order of protection against you as a result of a domestic battery or aggravated domestic battery case?

What to Do When Someone Has an Order of Protection Against You

For most people, the first thing to do after learning that someone has taken out an order of protection against them is to get in touch with a domestic violence defense attorney in Chicago. Your lawyer will be able to give you case-specific guidance and help you understand the conditions set forth in the order of protection. Some orders of protection include requirements that you:

  • Seek anger management counseling or another type of therapy
  • Stay away from the person who took out the order against you (which may even include staying away from your own children)
  • Pay child support
  • Refrain from going home, even to get a change of clothes or other belongings

Why Should You Follow the Requirements in an Order of Protection?

An order of protection is an actual order signed by a judge. Sometimes the judge will sign an order of protection without giving you a chance to tell your side of the story; typically, this is done as an “emergency order of protection” that’s issued when someone claims to fear you (or what you’ll do).

If you don’t follow the conditions outlined in your order of protection, you’re subject to legal penalties. You could face serious fines or even jail time.

Talk to a Domestic Defense Attorney in Chicago NOW

Unfortunately, many people take out orders of protection against ex-spouses or significant others because they believe it’ll give them an edge in a custody battle or divorce case; others do it simply out of spite. Regardless of the reasoning behind it, the sad truth is that many people who get orders of protection and claim to be victims of domestic battery or aggravated domestic battery are making false accusations.

If you’ve been accused of any type of domestic violence or someone has taken out an order of protection against you, call us immediately at 847-920-4540 for a free case evaluation.